The House of Ukraine will be hosting a group of journalists from Ukraine who are in San Diego for a few days on a program sponsored by the U.S. State Department.
Join us for a welcoming brunch reception where you will have a chance to meet and mingle prominent Ukrainian journalists who are helping to shape free and transparent Ukraine.
WHEN: Saturday, February 14 from 11 am to 1:30 pm
WHERE: House of Ukraine, Balboa Park
Update: Pictures from the event
[huge_it_slider id=”7″] [showhide type=”post” more_text=”Show more…” less_text=”Show less…”] Our guests were brought to San Diego by the San Diego Diplomacy Council in conjunction with the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv, Ukraine. Through short-term visits to the United States, current and emerging foreign leaders in a variety of fields experience this country firsthand and cultivate lasting relationships with their American counterparts.
The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv has outlined the following specific objectives for the project:
This two-week exchange program will highlight journalism in the U.S., with particular focus on investigative reporting – across all mediums. It will explore how to inform the public about corruption, abuse of power and other issues that impact government effectiveness, the business climate, and public health and safety. Numerous opportunities to network and engage with peers will introduce best practices for leveraging professional networks to research leads and highlight case studies for how social media can support engagement and advocacy.
Specifically, the program addresses:
- U.S. Federalism
- Journalism in the U.S. – state of the media in 2014; structure of U.S. news media organizations; challenges for traditional media and overview of new/social media;
- Digital communications – trends in on-line journalism and reporting; citizen journalists and new technologies;
- First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and protection of journalists;
- Investigative journalism – experience of reporters operating under conditions of uncertainty and danger; safeguards and protections;
- Freedom of Information (Act) – laws and regulations, especially in an increasingly digital age; security concerns and protections;
- Ethics in media – how are standards defined, monitored and enforced in public and private sectors; application in news reporting and analysis;
- Role of journalists to promote government accountability by disseminating information;
- Civic engagement and grassroots advocacy as covered and promoted by media;
- Cultural events and home hospitality.
- Mr. Denys BIHUS – Journalist and Anchor, “Nashi Groshi” (Our Money), ZIK TV
- Mr. Sergii IVANOV – Journalist and Blogger, “Ukrainska Pravda“, internet news website
- Ms. Maria KARPA – Anchor, “Pohlyad na Tyzhden” (Weekly Look), informational and analytical television program.
Journalist, “Narodnyi Kontrol” (Public Control), ZIK TV
- Mr. Roman NITSER (SHRAYK) – Founder and Director, www.durdom.in.ua and www.linkodrom.com (blogger)
- Mr. Maksym SAVANEVSKYI – Editor in Chief, www.Watcher.com.ua
- Ms. Oksana TROKOZ – Journalist, Head of Video News Department, www.Zhytomyr.info
Regional Correspondent, “5th Channel” (national TV)
- Ms. Iryna YARMOLENKO – Journalist, TV Presenter, “20 Minutes,” SKI TV
- Ms. Svitlana YERESHCHENKO – Journalist, www.krymtatar.in.ua